Monday, January 26, 2009

It's a gift to be simple,

it's a gift to be ... I can hum the tune, but the lyrics must be in another file folder. I am sitting with my friend Amy's comment about the rhythm, the ebb and flow of our days. I like thinking about that lifestyle. It's not lazy, driven, hectic, or dull. But, I have a question: who sets the mood of the piece? Is it God? circumstances? other people? hormones, or the lack thereof?

I seem to prefer the slow movement of the symphony nowadays. In fact, I have a box set of CDs that contain nothing but Adagios written by various composers. My favorite workout video is stretching; that's all, just stretching. I like the fact that Jesus was always busy, but He never hurried. He knew the secret of rhythm and balance.

I read the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew's version) this morning. The principles of the good life, the abundant life, kingdom living. Some scholars believe these chapters to be a compilation of truths Jesus taught His disciples throughout the 3 years of His ministry. Matthew wrote them down as if it was one long seminar, with no potty breaks. I began to distract myself by putting myself "in the scripture", a meditation technique I learned once. There I was, listening intently; without a clue what Jesus was saying, but desperately wanting to please Him. Were they so different from me, really? Except! Never, one single day, do we read that one of those men said to Jesus, "Go on without me; I'll catch up with you later. I need a spa day - a day off from following You". Yikes. It's hard not to feel rushed to transform; there's just so much to do . . .

2 comments:

  1. Always busy, but never hurried. Sounds like a good balance to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus reminds me of the African pace - there's no hurry, but there's a great sense of interest in what you are doing and and who you are. You know the saying in Ghana was Americans have money, Africans have time.
    I will be trying to connect to others as I go through this year.....I like your description....Jesus knew the secret of rhythm and balance....

    ReplyDelete