Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sing, sing a song..

Make it simple to last your whole life long. Don't worry if it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. Just sing, sing a song!

I have had this little song running around in my head for days now. Could I be trying to tell myself something? Music just makes everything more fun. I noticed that Mamma Mia made a certain movie critic's list of the 10 worst movies of 2008. Now, is that really fair? I thought it was very brave of Pierce Brosnan to star in a singing role. He didn't look the least bit worried that he wasn't good enough for anyone else to hear. . .

I own a Steinway baby grand piano. I faithfully have it tuned once a year, but I rarely play it anymore. It just sits there, big and black; a reminder of another life far, far away. . . Does anyone else have parts of themselves that simply fell off somewhere along the way? At one point in my life, this "instrument" defined me. I played it with others, for others, for myself, taught others to play it for others, with others, for themselves. I must have enjoyed all that music making, but for some reason I don't miss it. One day I simply didn't need it anymore, didn't need the attention anymore. But after this last tuning, I had a strong urge to climb the stairs, dig in my library closet, find some music and play it. Would I remember how to read music? Were there any pieces in my repertoire easy enough for me to play now? Was I worried about not being good enough for anyone else to hear? In the movie "An Affair to Remember", Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr visit his nonna, the little old crippled lady with the shawl who was once a concert pianist. At his request, she sits down at her black baby grand piano and plays a very simple song with her crooked, swollen, arthritic hands, and it was quite moving as I recall. At least Deborah Kerr cried, I think. Simple melodies can affect people that way.

I find myself missing music now. I'm glad I rented Mamma Mia. I'm happy I remembered the words to "Sing-Sing a Song". I feel good about having my piano tuned, and while writing this I have inspired myself to play it again. I really don't think I will mind that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. . I just want to know that I still have the music in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment