Sunday, January 25, 2009

It's a quarter to three, and there's no one in the place except you and me...

so, set 'em up Joe.... and that's all I know. I knew I shouldn't have that Diet Coke, but I drank it anyway, and now I am very wide awake and it is very late (or early). I began by amusing myself with the idea of creating a blog site. I have a few friends who use blogs to connect with others, and it looked like fun. I know I enjoy reading them, so I thought I just might enjoy writing one.

If I have a theme for this year it will have to be "routine without monotony". I need the routine, being easily distracted; but I fear monotony, being easily bored. Boredom can suggest the wackiest things to me and suddenly those things seem sane... like creating a blog at 2:00 in the morning. This year I set goals for the 1st time in forever. I'm at a place in my life where some bad habits will either die this year or reign over the last third of my life. I will either build routine and structure into my days or I will sink into the ooze of inertia. I will either gain direction and momentum or I will forfeit purpose and accomplishment.

If this sort of up and down and around journey interests you, you may want to check in every once in a while to see if I'm moving foward, standing still, sitting down by the side of the road trying to catch my breath, lost in the mist like Scarlet O'Hara, or actually pounding in a progress marker (like those historical markers that tell us something important occurred on this spot).

I'm an otter; and if it ain't fun, it doesn't get done. If I know someone is aware of my efforts toward reaching my goals, it may encourage me to continue when the way gets steep. We all know Li'l Miss Muffet spent a lot of time on her Tuffet until a spider frightened her into moving. The identity of my spider must remain a mystery for now.

5 comments:

  1. Routine without monotony. Is that possible? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, well, Janet. I don't know exactly why I'm surprised that you're a talented writer, but I am. I guess I have always only thought of you as a talented musician and pray-er. I can now add one more 'talented' to the list of "she's a talenteds" that I maintain. I've thought about blogging but I get too tired. I have other friends who blog - and a relative - but with one of them I just delete unread without the nerve to take me off of his daily notice that he's posted something, and the other is such a downer that I rarely check.

    Should I ever decide to purse the hobby, I'll let you know. For now, I'll check in and read Tuffet, or is it Muffet, and post comments to stay in touch.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, thank you so much, Stuffy. Too bad all that 'talent' can't seem to morph into discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet, I have some new thoughts about the "routine without monotony" concept. I realized that a better word than "routine" is "rhthym". I love the regular ebb and flow of a bustling morning, a snoozy afternoon, a family-filled evening, and a little down time at the end of the day. Each week also has its own rhythm, since I assign different tasks to different days of the week, giving each day a slightly different feel (therefore avoiding monotony). Am I making sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you are. I believe there is a rhythm to everything. I can't help relating to the musician in you. When you write about the ebb and flow of your day, I see phrases and movements, allegro and andante, ending with a fully exhaled ritardando at the end, when everyone is tucked in. Satisfying, isn't it, emotionally and spiritually. Don't you love that Shaker melody "It's a gift to be simple"? is that how it goes?

    ReplyDelete